A Beacon in the Dark — Vancouver Lighthouse
While this might look like the first blog post, for me, this is more like the middle of a journey. Sweet Clover Pet Photography, which had its own blog, was merged into Barb Kellogg Photography. I also have a personal blog called A Flick of Light that I've had for several years, which is still active. Blogging has been something that has been a part of my life for many years. This just happens to be the first official post of this blog. And photographs have always been an integral part of them all.
In choosing a photo for this post, I had a few stockpiled to choose from. My husband and took a trip to Vancouver, Canada about a year ago, and you're the first to see this image! I didn't take many photos, but this one stood out for me. Being landlocked in Minnesota, I think our only lighthouse is in Duluth. I usually don't think too long about titling a photograph—the purpose of a lighthouse is to be a beacon in the dark, to guide mariners safely at sea and around inland waterways.
Beginning of our Journey
So while I'm starting in the middle, for you, this might be the beginning of our journey. I want this blog to be inspiring, funny, beautiful, insightful, and informative, all with a bit of "eye candy"—photographs of nature, travels, families, kids, dogs, cats, cookies. In other words, sometimes just looking at a pretty picture is enough to make someone's day because that's all they have time for in a hectic day. If I can make you smile, then I've succeeded. Although every now and then I do get a bit introspective. I know my readers aren't perky all the time, as life isn't all tea and chocolate cookies. (But we can dream, right?) And I'll have a bit of fun letting my guest blogger, Mulder (my dog), say a few words.
What will this blog be about?
- Photography, of course—images from portrait sessions, nature and travel images, and I'll mix it up with some random surprises
- Stories behind the photographs
- Information—I'll share those things that I hope interest you, such as food, chocolate (yes I think it deserves it's own food group), books, movies, how-to articles I've discovered to make life easier, prettier, better tasting
- Share work from other artists
- Occasional posts from guest blogger Mulder (my dog)
- Stories to Tell (travel focused photography)
- Freebies and special offers
- A sprinkling of photography gear reviews
- And I want you to share what YOU want to read about—do you want to be motivated, educated, inspired, what would make your life easier?
Blog posts will come out on Thursdays, two to four times a month. Your email newsletter will contain a bit of the blog post, then if I want to throw in anything special for you, my subscribers, it will be in that email newsletter. You won't have access to subscriber-0nly specials if you only follow me on Facebook. So Sign up today for the email newsletter! Really, you’ll like it. And if you don’t, you can always unsubscribe at any time.
Let our journey together begin!